Monday, May 5, 2008

Because I Know You Were Wondering

For those of you who may not know, I don't watch a lot of reality TV but I am absolutely devoted to Dancing with the Stars. Pretty people! Pretty costumes! But most of all... ballroom dancing! I took a few lessons in high school and joined the team at Brown for a while. Although I didn't really keep up with most of it after my freshman year (dancing in heels was rough on my previously-mentioned bad knees and I just got into swing more than ballroom), I have never stopped loving it.

Anyway. A few times I have heard the judges, especially Len, use the word "fleckle." I had to know what graceful step had such a bizarre name. Turns out it's actually called a fleckerl (German?) and it's when they stand in place and turn around each other. That description doesn't really make that much sense, so check out this answer (and the videos). Then watch Kristi and Mark's V-Waltz -- at about 2:20 they do the fleckerl. (Keep watching for an amazing series of turns a little later!)
The couple to beat!

No comments: