Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Chinook Salmon

I recently read No Way Home, a book about migration as an endangered phenomenon. I was partially reading it to get ideas about how my thesis (on dragonfly migration) plays into the larger concepts of conservation and ecology and partially reading it because it's the sort of book I would read on my own anyway. Dragonflies are only part of the story; a large part of the book talks about salmon migration and what we humans have done to interfere with it. (A lot, in case you didn't know.)

Anyway, here's a little more information about it: Chinook Salmon Vanish Without a Trace.

So... definitely a good idea to start double-checking where your salmon comes from for the next few years. Stocks are low in many areas. Here is the Monterey Bay Aquarium page on salmon. Their guide to sustainable seafood is one of the best resources for fish lovers who don't want the oceans to be empty, although this page doesn't seem to reflect this latest update on Pacific salmon.

1 comment:

Aliza said...

that's pretty interesting...did i ever tell you about my salmon nation credit card?: http://www.salmonnation.com/growsn/snvisa.html